DCS completes custodial effectiveness APPA audits for LEED Certification.
DCS Custodial Consultants are available to perform APPA’s Custodial Effectiveness Audits for LEED-Existing Building Operations and Maintenance requirements for certification. The nature of the APPA Audit is designed to meet the requirements established for IEQ Credit 3.2 & 3.3, Green Cleaning category, within the LEED – EBOM Rating System. DCS insures that all stakeholders recognize at the outset, that this assessment and analysis procedure is to be conducted in a respectful and sensitive manner. DCS will, on behalf of the client, complete the following:
1. An inspection of the facilities based on the APPA 1-5 standards
Level 1 – Orderly Spotlessness
- Floors and base molding shine and/or are bright and clean; colors are fresh. There is no buildup in corners or along walls.
- All vertical and horizontal surfaces have a freshly cleaned or polished appearance and have no accumulation of dust, dirt, marks, streaks, smudges or fingerprints. Lights all work and fixtures are clean.
- Washroom and shower fixtures and tile gleam and are odor-free. Supplies are adequate.
- Trash containers hold only daily waste, are clean and odor-free.
Level 2 – Ordinary Tidiness
- Floors and base molding shine and/or are bright and clean. There is no buildup in corners or along walls. But there can be up to two days worth of dust, dirt, stains or streaks.
- All vertical and horizontal surfaces are clean, but marks, dust, smidges and fingerprints are noticeable upon close observation. Lights all work and fixtures have two days of dust
- Washroom and shower fixtures and tile can have up to two days worth of dirt and streaks and are odor-free. Supplies are adequate.
- Trash containers hold multiple days waste, are clean and odor-free.
Level 3 – Casual Inattention
- Floors are swept or vacuumed clean, but upon close observation there can be stains. A buildup of dirt and/or floor finish in corners and along walls can be seen. There are dull spots and/or matted carpet in walking lanes. There are streaks or splashes on base molding.
- All vertical and horizontal surfaces have obvious dust, dirt, marks, smudges, and fingerprints. Lamps all work and fixtures are clean have build-up of dirt and dust
- Washroom and shower fixtures are seen to have a buildup of dirt, streaks, and stains upon close inspection and are odor free. Supplies are inadequate.
- Trash containers are not clean, but are odor-free
Level 4 – Moderate Dinginess
- Floors are swept or vacuumed clean, but are dull, dingy, and stained. There is a noticeable buildup or dirt and/or floor finish in corners and along walls. There is a dull path and/or obviously matted carpet in the walking lanes. Base molding is dull and dingy with streaks or splashes.
- All vertical and horizontal surfaces have conspicuous dust, dirt, marks, smudges, and fingerprints. Lamp fixtures are dirty and some lamps (up to 5% are burned out)
- Washroom and shower fixtures have a buildup of dirt, streaks, and stains and have a noticeable odor. Supplies are inadequate.
- Trash containers and pencil sharpeners have old trash and shavings. They are stained and marked. Trash containers smell sour.
Level 5 – Unkempt Neglect
- Floors and carpets are dull, dirty, scuffed and/or matted. There is a conspicuous buildup of old dirt and/or floor finish in corners and along walls. Base molding is dirty, stained and streaked. Gum, stains, dirt, dust balls and trash are broadcast.
- All vertical and horizontal surfaces have major accumulations of dust, dirt, smudges, and fingerprints, all of which will be difficult to remove. Lack of attention is obvious.
- Light fixtures are dirty with dust balls and flies, Many lamps (more than 5% are burned out.
- Trash containers and pencil sharpeners overflow. They are stained and marked. Trash containers smell sour.
2. Prepare and present a report on the results including
- The methodology used to conduct the audit
- A breakdown of the audit areas as per APPA space category definitions with the score allocated to each space category.
- Opportunities for improvement to cleaning practices
DCS will complete the initial on-site inspection 2-3 weeks from the date of receiving the purchase The findings of this inspection and audit services would be detailed in a report to Halsall Associates 7 to 10 days after initial on-site inspection. This report will be ready for submission to obtain your LEED credits.
Note: client responsible for providing building “breakout by classification” square footage data.
Our third-party APPA audit process exceeds the LEED requirements and is cost-effective.
Our reports include:
- Building specific project description
- Project detailed area summary
- APPA audit summary with specific inspection data
- Recommendations for improvement
- Whether for in-house or contracted janitorial services our APPA audit service will meet your needs.
Click to download: APPA – Custodial Staffing Guidelines for Educational Facilities
Click to download Canadian APPA LEED Audit Flyer